Saturday, April 8, 2017

East 59th - New Collection!

We in the WClub were treated on Friday to a new line, and now everyone gets to see it - East 59th, a new vintage inspired 12" line in the same vein as Victoire Roux (who will be joining this line, too).  Personally I'm not really into vintage, but I know a lot of doll collectors are, and are over the moon with this collection.  I know IT has Poppy as their other big vintage line, but this one goes back to the 50's (earlier than Poppy's timeline) and also features grown women (whereas Poppy is a teenager).  There's also going to be a new storyline going on with this line, and it sounds intriguing!

Luxurious Leisure Constance Madssen:








Constance Madssen is the bad girl of the storyline.  She's quite beautiful, and comes with a lot of cool accessories and such.  She, along with the other new character, are brand new face sculpts.


Classic Glamour Evelyn Weaverton:






Evelyn is also a new sculpt, and is the main character of the East 59th line.  She comes to New York and is discovered by Laird Drake (who owns a modelling agency, and whom I guess we'll be seeing in the line in the future).

Glittering Gala Evelyn:







I LOVE this doll.  She's my fave of the bunch.  I love this Evelyn face, but since I'm not as into updos, Glittering Gala spoke to me more than Classic Glamour.  I have her pre-ordered.  I can't wait to see what she looks like in more modern fashions.

Captivating Cocktails Constance:







I also really like this doll - again, buns and twists don't really do it for me all the time, so I prefer the Constance that has loose hair.  I'm considering also pre-ordering this girl since I also think she's really pretty.

Each of these dolls has an edition size of 400, costs 135 USD, and will ship sometime in the Summer of 2017.  I really hope that this line is successful.  Even if an IT line isn't my bag, I still always want the dolls to sell well so that they'll keep trying new things.

I know that there is some disappointment that the shoes are molded plastic instead of the fabric shoes that Integrity usually does.  I can see both sides of the argument.  For the price of these dolls, we've come to expect more detailed shoes.  But, there's also the throwback vintage plastic shoes from the Barbie era.  Also, Chris Stoeckel, the designer of the line, mentioned that he wanted to try some new things.  I think they took the plastic shoe tradeoff so there could be more accessories thrown in with the dolls at the price point.

1 comment: