Sunday, October 12, 2014

Halloween Horror Movie Fest - Week 2

GOD, I had to rewrite this whole thing because it somehow got deleted.  FUCK FUCK FUCK.  I can't remember what I wrote!

October 6th:
Wolf Creek 2
This movie picks up right where Wolf Creek left off, with Mick Taylor casting a xenophobic murder swath through the Australian Outback.  The panorama shots of the Outback and the Wolfe Creek Crater are worth the price of admission alone, just like in the first movie.  We've got a bigger budget this time, and the movie jumps right into things, much more quickly than the first movie.  Check out both of them.


October 7th:
Absentia
WOW.  I love, love, loved this movie.  It's about a pregnant woman named Trisha who we see replacing old, crumpled missing posters of her husband with new ones.  Her sister Callie comes to visit her, and it turns out that her husband has been missing for 7 years, and Trisha's declaring him dead via absentia.  She hasn't seen any trace of him, and the cops can't find anything, including the cop that has gotten pretty friendly with her.  Their neighborhood is also a magnet for missing people and pets, and contains an eerie tunnel.  I don't want to say more, since I didn't know much going into the movie, but it's FANTASTIC.  Please, PLEASE check it out.


October 8th:
The Faculty
I'm not going to write much about this one, since it's one of those movies that I think most people (aside from me) have already seen.  Elijah Wood and Usher have not really aged much at all.  Lots of awesome people that I like are in this film, like Wood, Clea DuVall, Daniel Von Bargen, Bebe Neuwirth, Robert Patrick, Piper Laurie, Jon Stewart, etc.  One of those ones that it's about time I got around to.


October 9th:
Angel Heart
This one is hard to characterize as exactly a horror movie, or exactly a thriller.  It's in the vein of Rosemary's Baby or The Exorcist, or Devil (which I'll get to).  It's a movie about good and evil, and the hand of the devil working amongst humanity.  Mickey Rourke (before his face was all fucked up) plays Harry Angel, a private detective who's hired by Mr. Cyphre (Robert DeNiro with an AWESOME manicure) to find a guy named Johnny Favorite.  This Favorite guy, a former crooner, does not want to be found, and Angel gets in a lot of trouble trying to find him.  The ending is a big twist reveal, so I won't say anything (even though the movie was made in 1987...).  You may see it coming, but I didn't.  A very cool movie.

October 10th:
Open Grave
Another WOW.  This movie starts right out of the gate with our main character waking up in a mass, open-air grave full of bodies.  He has no memory of ANYTHING, and finds other people who have the same condition he has.  Why are all these dead bodies there?  Which one of them killed them?  Why don't they remember?  The plot slowly unravels as the characters get their memories back.  This is another movie that I didn't know anything about going in, and I'm glad of it.  Check it out without reading up much about it.


October 11th:
Bad Ronald
Here's an obscure movie from the 70's about a nerdy, mama's boy named Ronald who kills a neighbor girl because she insults him and his mother.  It's an accident, but his mother decides to hide him in the house, walling in the bathroom as a secret hiding place.  She dies, and Ronald is left behind the walls when a new family moves in.  He starts to lose his mind and spies on the new family.  Again, this is a movie that skirts the horror line, but I imagine finding someone living in your walls would be pretty horrifying.


October 12th:
Devil
Here's another 'the hand of the devil' movie that I'm sorry I missed when it came out.  I remember seeing the trailer for it in front of another movie (I can't remember which movie for the life of me).  The crowd seemed really jazzed (and I totally was), but then everyone in the theater, including me, started laughing when we saw 'from M. Night Shamalayan' go across the screen.  This was right around the time the horrible Airbender movie came out, so his name was (and maybe still is) box office poison.  But he didn't direct this flick.  Only produced it.  And I liked it quite a bit.  People trapped in an elevator with the devil, being picked off one by one.  What's not to like??? :p

No comments:

Post a Comment